Why Isn’t Chris Sununu Using His Office To Defend New Hampshire From Trump’s Health Care Sabotage?
Yesterday, former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu cheered on the reckless lawsuit that would gut the Affordable Care Act. Which got us thinking—why isn’t New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu joining a bipartisan group of attorneys general and governors who are suing to protect their states from this lawsuit’s devastating effects?
Here are some of the ways this lawsuit could have disastrous results for New Hampshire:
- Over 50,000 Granite Staters who have gained coverage through Medicaid expansion could become uninsured.
- Insurance companies could refuse to cover 572,000 Granite Staters with a pre-existing condition.
- 89,000 Granite Staters could lose their health insurance, leading to a 136 percent increase in the uninsured rate.
- Insurance companies would be able to impose lifetime limits on coverage for those insured through their employer or on the individual market.
- New Hampshire women could be charged more than men.
- Granite Staters over the age of 50 could face a $2,750 “age tax,” which would allow insurance companies to charge people over 50 more than young people.
- Insurance companies would no longer be required to cover prescription drugs and maternity care.
- Access to treatment for Granite Staters with a substance use disorder could be in jeopardy.
On the Trump administration’s lawsuit to overturn the Affordable Care Act, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said “the time to intervene has passed,” refusing to take action to defend Granite Staters’ from the Trump administration’s lawsuit that would have devastating effects for New Hampshire. Sununu touts his relationship with the Trump administration yet he isn’t willing to stand up to Trump and defend New Hampshire from this reckless lawsuit.
“Gov. Chris Sununu is once again putting his loyalty to Trump ahead of the Granite Staters who elected him,” said DGA Communications Director David Turner. “Without action, Sununu’s words on protecting New Hampshire from Trump’s health care sabotage are as empty as his suit. Chris Sununu must explain why he hasn’t used the full power of his office to stop Trump’s health care sabotage.”