Sirens For Bevin In Eastern Kentucky: No One Showed Up For His Rally With Donald Trump Jr.
Yesterday Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin held a rally with Donald Trump Jr. in Pikeville…except no one was there.
Bevin had a historically poor performance in the primary largely because of his abysmal showing in Eastern Kentucky. Bevin lost Pike County in the Republican primary to a challenger he continues to feud with. He has all of these troubles despite Trump carrying the county with 82 percent of the vote.
Bevin is the most unpopular governor in the country because he attacks teachers, members of his own party, his hand-picked lieutenant governor, and schoolchildren. Bevin has been booed at events across the state, including the Kentucky Derby and Hillbilly Days.
Bevin can’t get along with anyone and yesterday Pikeville returned the favor.
“Bevin’s sparsely attended rally in Pikeville spells trouble for the country’s most unpopular governor,” said DGA Communications Director David Turner. “Bevin insults teachers, members of his own party, his hand-picked lieutenant governor, and schoolchildren. It’s no wonder hardly anyone showed up today when Bevin’s favorite pastime is demeaning Kentuckians.”
Here’s what they are saying about Bevin’s pitifully attended rally:
- “World’s ‘Saddest’ Rally?” – Huffington Post
- “… Event so poorly attended…” – Newsweek
- “…a sparsely-attended campaign rally for Gov. Matt Bevin.” – WFPL
- “…a mostly-empty arena in Pikeville Thursday afternoon.” – Lexington Herald-Leader
- “Does this mean Governor Bevin has a Pikeville problem, or does it mean Trump Jr. can’t draw a crowd? Hard to draw a conclusion from a photo, but certainly not a good look for Bevin.” – Lexington Herald-Leader’s Daniel Desrochers
- “Could have saved money by holding this at the Pikeville McDonald’s.” – Louisville Courier Journal’s Joe Sonka
- “…sparse eastern Kentucky crowd.” – Associated Press
- “A light Thursday afternoon crowd…” – Spectrum News 1
- “Check out this very, very sad turnout…” – Daily Kos
- “I think it’s fair to say this is sparsely attended.” – WFPL’s Ryland Barton
Watch the video of Bevin’s sparsely attended rally here