Can you donate now to join our fight?
We just launched the Power to Appoint Fund to highlight the important role Dem Govs play to ensure integrity in our country’s judicial process and protect fundamental freedoms. Your support will ensure we can make crucial investments in key states and protect our democracy. Please don’t wait: rush your gift to elect Democratic governors! >>>
Signature Forging Scandal Makes GOP Primary of Unknown, Extreme Candidates Even More Chaotic
MIRS on New Poll: “Nobody Knows The Remaining GOP Gubernatorial Candidates”
As a massive Republican signature forging scandal continues to upend the Michigan GOP primary for governor, a new poll found most of the remaining candidates are unknown to voters. Insurrectionist Ryan Kelley leads the field with both James Craig and Perry Johnson off the ballot.
“You have a race of unknowns,” said pollster Ed Sarpolus.
According to MIRS, the poll from Target Insyght found that 49% of likely GOP voters are undecided, while Kelley leads with just 19% support.
Kelley was allegedly caught on video at the deadly January 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol, shouting, “Come on, let’s go! This is it! This is — this is war, baby!” He was also referred to the Attorney General for telling people to unplug voting machines.
Here’s what people are saying about the dismal state of the GOP primary:
- The Detroit News: “The bureau’s revelations Monday evening shook up the 2022 race to be Michigan’s governor, potentially leaving Republicans without their most well-known candidate, Craig, and without their wealthiest hopeful, Johnson.”
- Associated Press: “The reports issued by staff were a major blow to former Detroit Police Chief James Craig, who has led in polling, and businessman Perry Johnson, who has spent millions of his own money to campaign.”
- Fox News: “The stunning shake-up threatens to completely derail Republicans’ efforts in Michigan.”
- Michigan Pollster Richard Czuba: “This is a complete circus of a race now. Nobody knows any of these candidates. We don’t know where this is going to go. We just don’t.”
- Detroit Free Press: “It’s a bombshell setback for what has been seen as a faltering Craig campaign.”
- Michigan Republican Strategist John Sellek: “Assuming this holds, the collapse of the James Craig campaign goes down as the biggest since John Cherry in 2010 and likely as the greatest in Michigan history.”
- MLive: “If Craig, Johnson, Markey, Brandenburg and Brown are not on the ballot, it opens the race for the remaining five.”
- NBC News: “The developments could trigger a colossal shakeup in the race for governor.”
- New York Times: “The decision sent the race, in a key battleground state, into chaos and dealt a serious blow to the party’s plans to challenge Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.”
“The crowded and divisive GOP primary for governor was already a total mess about taking harmful positions, but this signature scandal turns the page to a new chapter of chaos,” said DGA Deputy Communications Director Sam Newton. “With the remaining candidates unknown and an insurrectionist now leading, Michigan Republicans are certain to nominate an extreme and out-of-touch candidate for governor.”