Midnight Governors Update
With votes still being counted in states from coast to coast, here’s a quick snapshot of the progress Democratic governors have made so far this election:
- FIVE FLIPS – ALL TOWARDS DEMS:
- With ballots still being counted in a number of states, Democrats have already picked up five governorships tonight: Governors-Elect Laura Kelly (KS), Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM), JB Pritzker (IL), Gretchen Whitmer (MI) and Janet Mills (ME).
- So far tonight, 30 million more Americans will be represented by Democratic governors in these five states.
- SIX DEMOCRATIC WOMEN: Six Democratic women won their races for governor tonight, the most Democratic women governors ever elected on a single day. Women candidates and women voters have been the driving force in this election, and tonight’s gubernatorial races are no exception.
- Governors Gina Raimondo (RI) and Kate Brown (OR) won their re-elections.
- Governors-Elect Laura Kelly (KS), Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM), Janet Mills (ME), and Gretchen Whitmer (MI) will join them in office next year.
- FIVE INCUMBENT GOVERNORS: All five Democratic governors on the ballot this year won their re-election races, including three that were considered at one point to be top Republican targets.
- Democratic Governors Kate Brown (OR) Andrew Cuomo (NY), David Ige (HI), Gina Raimondo (RI), and Tom Wolf (PA) all won tonight.
The Democratic Governors Association will keep you posted as additional state results come in.