ICYMI: Democrats Unite With Gov. Gavin Newsom to Oppose Republican Recall Campaign
Following Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom’s announcement forming a committee to oppose Republicans’ recall campaign in California, Democrats across the country announced their support for Gov. Newsom.
Instead of focusing on fighting COVID-19, Republicans are wasting taxpayer money, time, and energy on a partisan recall in the middle of a national crisis.
The Republican recall is being led by Trump Republicans and has been tied to groups who planned and led the insurrection on January 6th, anti-vaccination activists, QAnon conspiracy theorists, and the Proud Boys, among others.
Under Gov. Newsom’s leadership, California is making incredible progress on ending the pandemic and reopening schools and businesses. This is not the time to upend the state for purely partisan purposes.
Here’s what Democrats across the country are saying about the attempted Republican power grab:
- Sen. Alex Padilla: “Some of Donald Trump’s biggest donors are funding the Republican recall attempt in California. Today, [Gov. Gavin Newsom] launched his campaign to fight back.”
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: “The Republican Party has found their latest cynical scheme to disrupt COVID recovery efforts and to rile up the Trump base by rallying around a campaign to recall Governor Newsom. Rather than allowing Californians to focus on vaccinations, reopening, relief, and recovery, Republicans want to spend millions of taxpayer’s dollars to recall Governor Newsom in the middle of a national crisis.”
- Stacey Abrams: “Governor Newsom has courageously led California through a global pandemic — putting health, science and equity at the center of the state’s response. Republicans fought him every step of the way. Now, they are trying to overturn his election. Californians must stop the Republican recall.”
- Rep. Adam Schiff: “[Gavin Newsom] stepped up, and took swift action to protect Californians during the pandemic and get them help quickly. Now Republicans are wasting time and taxpayers $$ trying to recall him. We need to fight back.”
- Rep. Karen Bass: “If the recall should qualify, we will organize a statewide campaign to ensure that African American voters understand that recalling Gov. Gavin Newsom is not in our interest.”
- Rep. Katie Porter: “Governor [Gavin Newsom] took swift action to keep families safe and help them financially. The recall wastes tax dollars during a public health and economic disaster—and risks slowing our fight against the virus.”
- Rep. Ro Khanna: “This will be one of the most important races for Democrats this year. Having served California and the Democratic Party for decades with a commitment to Democratic values, Gavin Newsom is facing a pro-Trump, Republican recall. They are using a backdoor to sneak through their agenda. Democrats and Progressives must be united to stop it.”
- Sen. Cory Booker: “Gavin Newsom has shown the nation what courageous leadership looks like during the pandemic. Defeating this cynical, Republican recall effort will be one of the most important priorities for Democrats this year.”
- Sen. Bernie Sanders: “Right-wing Republicans in CA are trying to recall [Gavin Newsom] for the crime of telling people to wear masks and for listening to scientists during COVID. Extremist Republicans have done enough to undermine democracy already. We must all unite to oppose the recall in California.”