Govs On Deck – September 30, 2019
Good Monday afternoon! Welcome to this week’s edition of “Govs on Deck” – the weekly tip sheet dedicated to keeping you informed about what is happening in Democratic governors’ offices around the country.
Questions or suggestions? Send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find us all on Twitter too – @A_Tall_Turner, @CEAmestoy, and @MichBeyer.
Coming up this week:
- Today, KANSAS Gov. Laura KELLY will welcome the start of the Governor’s Council on Medicaid Expansion that will bring together new and veteran voices on Medicaid expansion. The Council is charged with supporting legislative efforts to find the best version of Medicaid expansion for the state.
- Tuesday, RHODE ISLAND Gov. Gina RAIMONDO will ceremonially sign the Student Loan Bill of Rights at the State House Library.
- Tuesday marks the two-year anniversary of the Route 91 Harvest music festival shooting in Las Vegas. NEVADA Gov. Steve SISOLAK will participate in events to honor the 58 victims that were killed that night.
- On Tuesday, COLORADO Gov. Jared POLIS will deliver remarks at the Governor’s Tourism Conference in Denver.
- And on Friday, RHODE ISLAND Gov. Gina RAIMONDO will participate in a live taping of “The Axe Files” podcast with David Axelrod.
How ‘bout Dem govs: Gov. Cooper Tackles Climate Change
Dem govs get it done.
Last week, NORTH CAROLINA Gov. Roy COOPER’s Climate Change Interagency Council presented four clean energy and climate change plans. Among other goals, the clean energy plan calls for a 70 percent reduction in power sector greenhouse gas emissions below 2005 levels by 2030 with carbon neutrality by 2050. The plans were a directive of an executive directive the governor signed last year to reaffirm the state’s commitment to fighting climate change and leading the state toward a clean energy economy.
Some news from this past week:
- KANSAS Gov. Laura KELLY launched the Governor’s Council on Tax Reform which will conduct a year-and-a-half, in-depth study of local and state taxes. The council will make recommendations to create a more fair and sustainable tax structure.
- MAINE Gov. Janet MILLS last week became the first sitting Maine governor to address the U.N. In her remarks she announced she had signed an executive order pledging Maine to be carbon neutral by 2045.
- WASHINGTON Gov. Jay INSLEE and MAINE Gov. Janet MILLS met with EU officials to discuss climate change as part of the climate alliance.
- COLORADO Gov. Jared POLIS announced that the state would be joining a multi-state lawsuit against the Interior Department’s rollback of the Endangered Species Act
- Health care
- MAINE Gov. Janet MILLS announced that the state will benefit from a Robert Woods Johnson’s Foundation grant to the state to enroll more people in health care coverage.
- NEW YORK Gov. Andrew CUOMO and CONNECTICUT Gov. Ned LAMONT announced a joint state partnership to develop a uniform approach to a legal cannabis program. The partnership will also work to develop guidelines for vaping.
- Gun violence
- NEVADA Gov. Steve SISOLAK announced a partnership with the Clark County Commission to form the 1 October Memorial Committee. The committee is tasked with creating a memorial to honor those killed in the Route 91 Harvest music festival shooting in Las Vegas.
Name that governor:
This governor installed a chicken coop at the governor’s mansion…
Think you know? Shoot me your answer at email@example.com.
It’s HAWAII Gov. David IGE who was the answer to last week’s question: This governor holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering…