Govs On Deck – September 3, 2019
Good Tuesday morning and happy September! Welcome to this week’s edition of “Govs on Deck” – the weekly tip sheet dedicated to keeping you informed about what is happening in Democratic governors’ offices around the country.
Questions or suggestions? Send me a note at email@example.com. You can find us all on Twitter too – @A_Tall_Turner, @CEAmestoy, and @MichBeyer.
Coming up this week:
- School is back in session in WISCONSIN where Gov. Tony EVERS will welcome students and teachers back across the state this week.
- In RHODE ISLAND today, Gov. Gina RAIMONDO will highlight the state’s progress in reducing health care costs and reaffirm the state’s commitment to the ACA.
- Today, NEW JERSEY Gov. Phil MURPHY will announce the school districts that will receive pre-K expansion funding for the 2019-2020 school year.
- WASHINGTON Gov. Jay INSLEE today will speak at the groundbreaking event for the Sound Transport’s Lynnwood Link extension.
- On Wednesday, WISCONSIN Gov. Tony EVERS will make an announcement on the opening of the $48M broadband expansion grants he signed in the state budget.
- RHODE ISLAND Gov. Gina RAIMONDO on Wednesday will celebrate the start of school with ceremonial signings of education-related bills.
- Thursday, NEW JERSEY Gov. Phil MURPHY will cut the ribbon at the opening of a new P-TECH school – a public-private partnership where students earn a high school and associate degree in six years and complete internships.
How ‘bout Dem govs: SNAP
Dem govs get it done.
Last week, 17 Democratic governors sent a letter to U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue voicing their opposition to the agency’s proposal to drastically change the eligibility requirements for food assistance.
The proposed changes could threaten the SNAP eligibility of over 3 million individuals. Nearly half a million children could lose access to free or reduced school lunches as well.
The coalition of Democratic governors was led by Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
You can read the full letter here.
Some news from this past week:
- Health care
- COLORADO Gov. Jared POLIS was praised by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for recent efforts to lower health care costs and expand access.
- MAINE Gov. Janet MILLS announced that Maine will be transitioning to a state-based health care marketplace that uses the federal platform.
- NORTH CAROLINA Gov. Roy COOPER announced that opioid-related deaths had dropped in the state for the first time since 2013.
- COLORADO Gov. Jared POLIS spoke out against the Trump administration’s proposed rule that would roll back federal regulations on methane leaks.
- MAINE Gov. Janet MILLS launched an electric-vehicle rebate program.
- WISCONSIN Gov. Tony EVERS signed an executive order to curb PFAS contamination from chemicals in firefighting foam, non-stick cookware, and fast-food wrappers.
Name that governor:
This governor was involved in his or her university’s Juggling Club during college….
Think you know? Shoot me your answer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congrats to Zach Hudson (American Bridge) who correctly identified NEVADA Gov. Steve SISOLAK as the answer to this question: This governor inherited a gubernatorial tortoise when he or she was sworn into office….
Follow Carson the Tortoise here!
Have a great week!