Govs On Deck – October 14, 2019
Good Monday morning! Welcome to this week’s edition of “Govs on Deck” – the weekly tip sheet dedicated to keeping you informed about what is happening in Democratic governors’ offices around the country.
Questions or suggestions? Send me a note at email@example.com. You can find us all on Twitter too – @A_Tall_Turner, @CEAmestoy, and @MichBeyer.
Coming up this week:
- Today, NEW JERSEY Gov. Phil MURPHY will announce new measures to fix NJ TRANSIT, the nation’s third-largest mass transit system, including the resumption of direct service to New York City on one of the state’s busiest rail lines.
- MINNESOTA Gov. Tim WALZ will speak today at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law as part of the school’s observance of Indigenous Peoples Day.
- NEW JERSEY Gov. Phil MURPHY will announce new investments by AMTRAK on Tuesday.
- KANSAS Gov. Laura KELLY on Tuesday will welcome the Governor’s Council on Tax Reform back to the capital for the council’s second meeting.
- Wednesday, COLORADO Gov. Jared POLIS will join producers and leaders in the agriculture community on a Yuma County agriculture and sustainable energy and practices tour.
On Wednesday, NEW JERSEY Gov. Phil MURPHY will attend a graduation ceremony for a new class of train engineers.
- KANSAS Gov. Laura KELLY on Friday will join the YWCA’s “Week Without Violence” march and rally in Topeka.
- And on Saturday, KANSAS Gov. Laura KELLY will be waving the starter’s flag at the Kansas Lottery 300 NASCAR race at the Kansas Speedway.
How ‘bout Dem govs: preventing a 2020 undercount
Dem govs get it done.
In case you missed it, Axios reported on the larger-than-ever funding states are putting aside to ensure their population is accurately counted in the 2020 Census and Democratic governors are leading the charge.
With federal funding and Congressional representation on the line, Democratic governors are allocating hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure a complete county.
Some news from this past week:
- LGBTQ rights
- NEVADA Gov. Steve SISOLAK became the first sitting Nevada governor to participate in Las Vegas’ Pride Parade. Check out the link for some great photos.
- Health care
- ILLINOIS Gov. JB PRITZKER released a five-year economic blueprint for the state designed to help grow jobs and raise salaries in the state.
- MICHIGAN Gov. Gretchen WHITMER’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy announced it’s moving forward with establishing formal limits for certain PFAS compounds in drinking water. The governor had proposed draft regulations for review.
- Campaign finance
- MONTANA Gov. Steve BULLOCK submitted formal comments in opposition to the IRS in response to a new proposal to eliminate a requirement that certain tax-exempt organizations report the source of their major financial donors.
Name that governor:
Growing up, this governor had dreams of replacing Mickey Mantle as center fielder for the New York Yankees…
Think you know? Shoot me your answer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DELAWARE Gov. John CARNEY was the answer to last week’s question: This governor coached a college freshman football team before catching the political bug…
Have a great week and go Nats!!