Gov. Lujan Grisham Announces “Big Things Are Within Our Reach” in State of the State Address
Yesterday, In her annual State of the State address, New Mexico Gov. Michelle laid out a bold agenda that takes on the biggest issues facing New Mexicans. In her address, Gov. Lujan Grisham announced “big things are within our reach” for New Mexico, including ending the tax on social security and cutting sales taxes to save families and businesses $170 million a year, giving teachers a 7% salary increase, and investing in public safety.
Gov. Lujan Grisham also highlighted her administration’s significant accomplishments, including raising the minimum wage for the first time in 10 years, guaranteeing paid sick leave to every worker in the state, and sending thousands of New Mexicans to college for free.
DGA Senior Communications Advisor Christina Amestoy said, “Gov. Lujan Grisham has already delivered for New Mexico families. Now, she’s continuing to set a bold path forward for progress. From proposing tax cuts that will save families money each year to increasing teacher pay, Gov. Lujan Grisham is taking advantage of New Mexico’s historic economic momentum to propose an agenda that thinks big and delivers the kind of results New Mexicans deserve.”
Here’s what people are saying about Gov. Lujan Grisham’s address:
- KVIA: “In her State of the State address, New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham promised to grow the economy, invest in the future of education and crack down on crime throughout the state.”
- Former state Sen. Eric Griego: “I thought it was bold. Incredibly ambitious. The Governor made a pretty strong case for doing things we’ve been talking about for decades.”
- Santa Fe New Mexican: “Saying the state has “unimaginable financial resources” at its disposal, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham challenged lawmakers Tuesday to think big and be aggressive on New Mexicans’ behalf…”
- Associated Press: “Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, a Democrat, called on the Legislature to support new investments in teacher salaries, tuition-free college, the expansion of police forces and care for aging military veterans — while slashing taxes on sales and Social Security benefits.”
- New Mexico Alzheimer’s Association: “The Alzheimer’s Assoc. applauds Gov. Lujan Grisham for this thoughtful initiative to empower caregivers with more resources & supports — will help ensure healthier outcomes for both. AA will advocate in full support on behalf of the 110k family caregivers to loved ones with dementia.”