Four Days Out From Election, DGA Releases Final Strategy Memo
A Tested Playbook in Untested Times: Localization in the Era of Polarization
Today, the Democratic Governors Association released a memo to interested parties outlining the DGA’s playbook for the 2019-2020 gubernatorial cycle.
Key points include:
- If 2020 has taught Americans one thing, it’s the vital role their governors play in protecting their families, and our democracy.
- The DGA took advantage of a tough map and an unpredictable campaign season to take smart shots at pickup opportunities, protect incumbents, and put red states in play.
- The DGA’s chief priority is to protect our incumbents, and with both Delaware and Washington in strong shape, we were able to focus resources and energy to protect incumbent Gov. Roy Cooper in North Carolina, compete in a tight race to hold on to Montana, and spend strategically to try and pick-up a Republican-held seat in Missouri.
- The DGA was able to support these races at historic levels due to the strength – and flexibility – of its fundraising operation. Despite the end to in-person events, Gov. Murphy’s leadership as Chair delivered record growth.
- The DGA’s 2020 fundraising success allowed us to strategically invest heavily in our 2020 races and will set up the DGA for long-term success and growth.
Read the full memo here.