FACT CHECK: Steve Pearce’s Real Record of Keeping New Mexicans in Poverty
As Rep. Steve Pearce’s new campaign ad tries to cover up his record of voting to hurt New Mexicans living in poverty and prevent them from climbing the ladder of opportunity, the DGA is reminding voters of the facts.
- Steve Pearce has voted at least 20 times to take away affordable health care from 266,000 low income New Mexicans.
- Pearce has voted to slash funding for Pell Grants that allow low income New Mexicans to pursue higher education
- Steve Pearce has repeatedly voted to cut funding from early childhood education for needy kids.
- Pearce has also voted to cut low income housing programs, food stamps, and Social Security.
- Pearce has voted on several occasions against giving working New Mexicans a raise by increasing the minimum wage.
“New Mexicans won’t be fooled by Steve Pearce’s campaign ads,” said DGA Press Secretary Melissa Miller.“They know that in Congress, Pearce has put his extreme ideological agenda ahead of New Mexicans living in poverty and made it harder for low-income and middle-class families to have economic opportunities.”