Can you donate now to join our fight?
We just launched the Power to Appoint Fund to highlight the important role Dem Govs play to ensure integrity in our country’s judicial process and protect fundamental freedoms. Your support will ensure we can make crucial investments in key states and protect our democracy. Please don’t wait: rush your gift to elect Democratic governors! >>>
Every State, Every Vote: Georgia’s Primary Election Disaster
Georgia’s primary election yesterday was a catastrophic mess featuring long lines, problems with new voting machines, and a lack of available ballots – with the biggest problems occurring in majority-minority counties.
Every State, Every Vote Co-Chair Oregon Gov. Kate Brown released the following statement:
“The conditions plaguing Georgia voters during yesterday’s primary election are unacceptable. The widespread problems we saw across the state are symptomatic of a Republican governor and secretary of state who will stop at nothing to block access to the ballot box for minority voters.
“A free and fair election does not include waiting in line for hours on end or a limited number of available ballots. Given the chaos we saw last night, it is clear our nation needs to implement a plan for upcoming elections and primaries. States need to follow the lead of Democratic governors and start preparing alternative voting methods, like expanded early voting opportunities and the pre-paid mail-in ballots we offer in Oregon.
“The turmoil will continue if the federal government doesn’t help states fund these vote-from-home measures. That’s why Every State, Every Vote is calling on this administration to immediately support $4 billion in election assistance for the states – our democracy depends on it. No American should have to choose between their health and their right to vote.”
Read more about the disastrous Georgia elections below and learn how Democratic governors are fighting for free and fair elections at EveryStateEveryVote.com.
- New York Times: ‘I Refuse Not to Be Heard’: Georgia in Uproar Over Voting Meltdown
- Washington Post: In Georgia, primary day snarled by long lines, problems with voting machines — a potential preview of November
- Wall Street Journal: In a Warning for November, Voters Endure Long Lines in Georgia’s Primary Election
- Politico: ‘A hot, flaming mess’: Georgia primary beset by chaos, long lines
- NBC News: Georgia election ‘catastrophe’ in largely minority areas sparks investigation
- CBS News: Georgia county to keep polls open 2 extra hours after long lines and voting machine problems
- The Guardian: Georgia primary blighted by long lines and broken voting machines
- Associated Press: Heat, rain, long lines: Georgia election plagued by problems
- The Hill: Georgia officials launch investigation into election day chaos amid voter suppression concerns