Dixon “Not Hiding From” Saying 14-Year-Old Incestual Rape Victim is “Perfect Example” of Why Abortion Should Be Banned Without Exceptions
Michigan GOP primary candidate Tudor Dixon is doubling down on her extreme plan to ban abortion without exceptions after saying in an interview that a 14-year-old girl raped by her uncle is a “perfect example” of who should be forced to carry out a pregnancy.
When Dixon was asked about her radical position yesterday, she told HuffPost she’s “not hiding from it.”
The rest of the GOP field for governor are also running on extreme stances on banning abortion.
“Despite being completely out of touch with Michigan families, Tudor Dixon refuses to back down from her extreme plan to ban abortion without exceptions,” said DGA Deputy Communications Director Sam Newton. “Using a child rape victim as justification for her dangerous agenda proves Dixon is too radical for Michigan.”
Here’s what people are saying about Dixon’s horrific comments on her plan to ban abortion with no exceptions:
- HuffPost: “Asked to clarify why Dixon thinks the case of a teenager who is raped is the ‘perfect example’ of her belief that abortion should be illegal except in cases where the mother’s life is at risk, Dixon provided HuffPost a statement affirming her anti-abortion views … ‘I’m not hiding from it.’”
- Washington Post: “Dixon joins a cohort of Republicans who have, amid the fall of Roe, pushed for abortion bans without exceptions for fetuses conceived through rape or incest.”
- MSNBC: “And as far as she’s concerned, if a 14-year-old Michigan girl is impregnated by a rapist, the government should force that girl to go forward with that pregnancy, regardless of her wishes. This is, as Dixon put it, a ‘perfect example’ of her beliefs on the subject.”
- New York Magazine’s Jonathan Chait: “Well this sounds bad … the leading GOP governor candidate in Michigan considers a 14 year old girl raped by a relative the ‘perfect example’ of somebody who should be forced to carry the baby.”
- Heartland Signal: “Dixon emphatically defended her near-total abortion ban proposal … Earlier in the interview, Dixon dismissed polling that shows abortion bans like hers being unpopular in Michigan.”
- Talking Points Memo: “Tudor Dixon, a top-polling contender in the GOP primary for Michigan governor, recently argued that young incest survivors who were impregnated by their rapist are a perfect case in support of banning abortion.”