Chris Sununu’s Silence On The Lawsuit Gutting The ACA Is Deafening
Yesterday, the Fifth Circuit ruled a portion of the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional. This Trump-backed lawsuit is the Republican health care plan to rip away health care from millions of Americans. Here are some of the ways this lawsuit could have disastrous results for New Hampshire:
- Over 50,000 Granite Staters who have gained coverage through Medicaid expansion could become uninsured.
- Insurance companies could refuse to cover 572,000 Granite Staters with a pre-existing condition.
- 89,000 Granite Staters could lose their health insurance, leading to a 136 percent increase in the uninsured rate.
- Insurance companies would be able to impose lifetime limits on coverage for those insured through their employer or on the individual market.
- New Hampshire women could be charged more than men.
- Granite Staters over the age of 60 could face a $2,750 “age tax,” which would allow insurance companies to charge people over 60 more than young people.
- Insurance companies would no longer be required to cover prescription drugs and maternity care.
- Access to treatment for Granite Staters with a substance use disorder could be in jeopardy.
While his father cheered on the lawsuit, Chris Sununu stayed silent and loyal to Trump. Sununu even touted his role as an architect of Graham-Cassidy as “very exciting,” yet the bill would have taken away health care from 112,000 people in New Hampshire.
“Chris Sununu owns the consequences of this lawsuit to rip away health care from Granite Staters,” said DGA Communications Director David Turner. “Chris Sununu refuses to use his office to defend New Hampshire from the catastrophic goal of this lawsuit: to jeopardize protections for pre-existing conditions and kick thousands of people off their health care. Sununu’s silence is a gift to Donald Trump and shows he puts his allegiance to his party above everything else.”