As They Continue to Lead on Infrastructure, Democratic Governors Celebrate Passage of Bipartisan Infrastructure Package
This weekend, Democratic governors universally celebrated the passage of President Biden’s bipartisan infrastructure package as a long-overdue investment in the nation’s infrastructure that will also put more money in American families’ pocketbooks.
While Republican governors and candidates in states like Florida, Michigan, and South Dakota continue to oppose the bill and ignore their states’ critical infrastructure needs, Democratic governors are applauding the legislation and preparing to take immediate action to distribute its benefits.
Democratic governors played a pivotal role in calling for the passage of the infrastructure package. They also provided crucial input to Congress and the White House to ensure the bill met the most pressing challenges in each of their states.
“Democratic governors are welcoming this bill as a historic opportunity to make transformational change in their states,” said DGA Communications Director David Turner. “Just as they have done with the American Rescue Plan, Democratic governors will be trailblazers in turning the policies of this legislation into tangible benefits Americans can see and feel in their everyday lives. While Republicans stand in the way, Democratic governors continue to get things done on the issues that matter most to people, whether it’s on infrastructure or any other front.”
Here’s what Democratic governors are saying about the historic legislation:
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom: “President Biden understands the need to build a climate-resilient future, and the infrastructure package passed by Congress builds on California’s unprecedented investments to maintain and modernize the state.”
- Colorado Gov. Jared Polis: “Let’s fix the roads and reduce traffic! This is a win for our country and a win for Colorado! I’m thrilled that Congress has passed with bipartisan support this once-in-a-generation opportunity to improve our roads, create new jobs, improve our drinking water, and tackle climate change,”
- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont: “Passing the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill is a BIG DEAL! Right here in CT, we’ll see commuting times speed up, new good paying jobs, and economic growth.”
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker: “I would like to thank President Biden and members of Congress for delivering on a promise to invest and revitalize infrastructure across the nation. Thanks to this historic investment, we will be able to widen the scope of our historic Rebuild Illinois capital program.”
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear: “Today is an exciting day in the commonwealth following the passage of the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill. This bipartisan legislation will provide billions of dollars here in Kentucky with funding going toward bridges, rural roads, public transportation and our electric vehicle charging network.”
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards: “The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act is a big win for Louisiana as it will allow the state to both advance long overdue and much-needed major road and bridge projects as well as help expand high-speed broadband access, affordability and literacy.”
- Maine Gov. Janet Mills: “This once-in-a-generation investment will allow us to fix our roads and bridges, expand high-speed broadband, improve access to clean drinking water, and build a cleaner, more sustainable transportation network – all while putting Maine people to work in good-paying jobs.”
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: “The bipartisan infrastructure plan is a win-win for Michigan because it will create countless good-paying, blue collar jobs, while helping us fix even more roads and bridges across the state.”
- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz: “The passage of the Infrastructure Bill makes critical investments in Minnesota’s roads, bridges, and broadband. This is nothing but historic.”
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham: “This bipartisan bill means millions of good-paying jobs, it means rebuilt roads and bridges and dams all across New Mexico, it means clean drinking water and broadband for New Mexicans in rural areas, and it means better and fast-tracked climate infrastructure.”
- North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper: “I applaud Congress for passing POTUS’s bipartisan legislation to provide record investment in America’s infrastructure. Roads, bridges, broadband: these funds will help create jobs and strengthen our country and economy.”
- Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak: “Great to see this legislation head off to POTUS for signature. Earlier this year, I signed legislation to kickstart funding for the State Infrastructure Bank. This federal legislation will help us build back better and create more good-paying union jobs for Nevadans.”
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul: “Did somebody say #InfrastructureWeek? In all seriousness, the bipartisan infrastructure bill is a huge win for New York.”
- Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee: “Passage of the bipartisan infrastructure bill means RI will be able to make crucial infrastructure investments and create good-paying jobs. Thanks POTUS, Speaker Pelosi and our congressional delegation for getting it done.”
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee: “Congratulations @POTUS for getting the job done with historic investments in physical infrastructure. Congress’s job is not done, however. Let’s also make sure we finish this transformative agenda by getting the #BuildBackBetterAct to the president’s desk.”
- Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers: “…because of President Biden’s efforts to pass this once-in-a-generation infrastructure plan, we’ll be able to build on the progress we’ve made these past two years and continue our work fixing our state’s crumbling roads, investing in lead pipe replacement, and expanding access to broadband across our state.”