December 21, 2017

/

Illinois, Latest News

More Questions Surface About Rauner’s “Mind Boggling” Response to Quincy Outbreak

Rauner’s Administration Withheld Information from Families – “Inexcusable” Says Expert

Last night, WBEZ added a second installment to their exposé on the Legionnaires’ outbreak at the Quincy Veterans Home, and it’s raising more questions about Rauner’s bungled response to the outbreak. WBEZ reported that Rauner’s Public Health Director Nirav Shah learned of the Legionnaires’ outbreak a full six days before informing the public. WBEZ continued:

“One of the nation’s top infectious disease experts said it’s ‘mind boggling’ that the state would wait six days to notify the public about the initial outbreak at the Illinois Veterans Home. “I think it’s really inexcusable,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the Center for Health Security in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland.”

WBEZ previously documented that some residents were not being tested or given proper medication during this six-day gap, and ultimately died. WBEZ further found that Rauner’s administration was under-reporting the number of people who became sick this year by half.

Earlier this week, WCIA exposed that a mid-summer hack of the Veterans’ Affairs computer system has left many veterans unable to get the benefits they earned. Again, Rauner’s administration was less than forthcoming about the situation and how many veterans are still without benefits. How many families have been hurt by Rauner’s habit of withholding information?

“Bruce Rauner failed Illinois veterans and now he’s failing the public by not being honest,” said DGA Illinois Communications Director Sam Salustro. “So far, there’s been no accountability from Rauner’s administration for its bungled response to the Quincy outbreak. Rauner needs to stop hiding information, and start being open and transparent about what his administration knew and how it failed the veterans at Quincy.”

###